#67 - Complete a ½ marathon

Today I ran in the Big D Half Marathon in Dallas. Yes, I ran 13.1 miles today! I get to cross a rather "big" item off my list of "101 Things". Wohoo!

I started training on January 1 for the half marathon, and three full months later I was able to accomplish my goal. I was on cloud nine when I crossed the finish line because I beat my own personal record (PR). I ran in a half marathon three years ago this past January in Phoenix. My time for that run was 2:06. When I set out to complete this half marathon, I really wanted to beat that time. And I'm happy to report that not only did I beat that time, but I also beat the 2 hour mark!! I completed it in 1:55:16 (8:48 mile). I've never run that fast before in my life! And it was "chilly" and rather windy out for the run too! (I often had to grab my hat so that the wind wouldn't take it away).


My favorite part of this run was seeing DH and TemTem cheering me on right after the nine mile mark. I got a little kiss from TemTem and that gave me an extra little boost in my step. And then they were at the finish line cheering me on as well. For some reason, I almost got a little emotional seeing her waving at me and then so excited to greet me once I finished. She wanted me to hold her, but man I was exhausted and she was heavy :) Oh, and our finish line was right at the entrance to where the Cotton Bowl is played at in Fair Park each year. Pretty cool, eh?

I ran in a full marathon (26.2 miles) three years ago this month. After that marathon, I said I would happily run in half marathons again someday, but I wasn't so sure I would ever want to run a full marathon again. After running 13.1 miles today, I can say that I definitely "enjoy" half marathons much more than a full marathon. Also, it's fun to participate in an organized event with people cheering on the sidelines. I love to people watch and check out other runner's gaits or what they wear or what silly superstitions they have (some guy in front of me had to touch each orange cone on the road that he passed).


I think my next half marathon will be in mid-May in Dallas again. I need to keep up with the running to keep up with the weight loss program!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats girl! What a great accomplishment!

erin said...

what a huge accomplishment! and how special that your family was there cheering you on. congrats!

Nicole said...

YEA!!!!
Way to go!

Alicia W. said...

HUGE accomplishment! That is so great.. I'm exhausted just by looking at the pics of you running, lol.

Lani said...

You ROCK!!! That is AWESOME!!!!

Drew said...

Awesome! You're right. That was a big accomplishment from your list. I'm very inspired by you!

Kameron said...

OMG, you're my hero! Great job!!

Steph at Problem Solvin' Mom said...

Congratulations, you look fabulous, by the way! I was all set to do a half marathon this year...maybe next fall instead? ;) I'm sure I'll be full on the weightloss bandwagon then and needing some goals and inspiration.

Hugs,
Steph

Heather said...

Wow, wow!!! I am SO behind on your blog, and completely missed your HUGE accomplishment!! Way to go, Brooke! I was actually thinking this morning how I would love to make that a goal... but I'm thinking a quarter-marathon would be a better place to start. Or an eighth? Yeah, how 'bout that? : )

wendyeik said...

OMG....I am just checking out your blog after you left me a comment on mine. I LOVE your 101 things in 1001 days idea and I am so inspired by it! I read most of the 101 things and they are great. Awesome awesome, keep it up!!!!